If you would like to donate to the church, information and forms can be downloaded by clicking here.
& St Paul’s Parish Church,
Hawkley, Hampshire, GU33 6NF
Marriage is the
moment when we promise ourselves completely and
exclusively to one other person for the rest of our lives. The marriage
is a beautiful, special and holy one, in which the bride and groom make
promises to each other, and so become husband and wife. For more
The Church of
England’s wedding website is packed with useful
christening your child will be Baptized with water. It’s
the start of an amazing journey of faith for your child and a special
all your friends and family. Follow the links to find answers to your
and to explore all that a christening means, not just on the day but
It’s not just for
children, adults can be Baptised too! Please
A funeral is used
to mark the end of a person's life here on earth. Family and friends
together to express grief, give thanks for the life lived and commend
person into God's keeping. These can be a small, quiet ceremony or a
occasion in a packed church.
entitled to either a burial service (funeral) or to
have their ashes buried in their local parish churchyard by their local
priest regardless of whether they attended church or not. Please
Church Electoral Roll
The Church Electoral Roll can be found by clicking here.
data protection policy of
Hawkley with Priors Dean PCC is, as required by the new General Data
Regulation, set out in the following Privacy Notice [link here] . Please
direct any questions to the PCC’s Data Compliance Officer at St. Peter
St. Paul’s Church, Hawkley, Liss, Hampshire GU33 6NA;
The Church of St. Peter & St. Paul
, dating from 1865, is a fine example built in the Norman style in
local stone. Its architect was Samuel Sanders Teulon. He was of
Huguenot descent, born in 1812 at Greenwich, setting up in independent
practice in 1838, and being constantly in demand until he died in 1873.
Teulon's earlier designs were generally in Tudor or
Elizabethan styles, but he later became a supporter of the Gothic
revival; he also restored and recast many Churches. It was J.J.
Maberly, of Hawkley Hurst, for whom he had previously designed a house,
who commissioned Teulon to build the Church. It is in stone after a
simple design in the Norman style; and the tower is a ?Rhenish Helm?,
more usually found on the continent, though there is a fine medieval
example at Sompting in Sussex. It is not known what were the reasons
for the design being used here, nor indeed for any of the designs for
the rest of the Church, which are very restrained and must have been
entirely different from Teulon's usual style at that date. At all
events he has left us a Church which is both suitable to its
surroundings, and extremely attractive in itself, and for which we have
every reason to be grateful.
The building is cruciform, though the transverse arms
terminated by gables containing rose windows, do not extend beyond the
ground plan of the aisles. The nave is divided into three bays. The
pillars which separate it from the aisles have elaborately carved
capitals, the subjects being emblems of our Lord and of the
Evangelists. The corbels supporting the open timbered roof are carved
into the forms of the trees mentioned in Scripture, the palm, plane,
ebony, vine, pomegranate, fig, gourd, olive and rose of Sharon. The
corbels in the aisles are angels.
The east window consists of three lights, above which
is a circular window. These are memorial windows and filled with
painted glass by Ward and Hughes. In the centre is the Ascension, and
on either side, the Baptism of Christ and the Last Supper. The rose
window above, depicts Christ in majesty. Windows in the aisles contain
figures of the Twelve Apostles.
Photographs depicting the
stained glass windows in St Peter and St Paul church can be viewed by
on the following link:
In the south wall of the chancel there was a
particularly fine carved alabaster panel, of English work, depicting
the betrayal of Christ by Judas. This was stolen in the 1980's, but we
are fortunate to have a carved wooden replica of it. It is suggested in
the Victoria County History of Hampshire that it originally formed part
of the reredos of the old Church, but this is not certain. The stone
pulpit was removed in 1996, and its base now forms the Altar in the
The Organ is a 19th century instrument, by the London
firm of Bevington, originally with a mechanical or tracker action.
Ivemey & Cooper rebuilt it in 1939, with pneumatic action. In
1999 it was rebuilt by Henry Willis & Sons, with electric
action, and the addition of a second manual.
At the east end of the south aisle, in the arch above
the organ screen, is the Hawkley Mural, installed in 1991, and the work
of local artist, Sally Maltby. Above the words, ?I will lift up mine
eyes unto the hills,? it depicts the cycle of life in the countryside.
In the belfry there are eight bells, three of them
from the old church, two from about 1450 and one from 1624. When the
present church was built, Rebecca Maberly presented two more bells. In
1900, another was added in memory of Churchwarden George Wakeford, and
Mr. and Mrs. Clive Davies gave the last two in memory of their son
Harold, killed in action with the Royal Navy in World War II. The Tenor
weighs 8cwt. 1qtr. 25lbs. and was recast in 1997 in memory of former
Tower Captain, Charles Pound. It replaced the one given by Rebecca
Maberly in 1867.
To mark the millennium, a new west window was
installed. It is the work of Simon Whistler, and depicts a cockerel,
and the crossed key and sword, emblem of St. Peter and St. Paul. The
Archdeacon of the Meon, the Ven. Peter Hancock, dedicated it at a
special service in September 2000.
All the grave monuments
(headstones & memorials) in St
Peter and St Pauls Hawkley, have now been catalogued as part of the
International Directory of Grave Monuments. This directory records a
of the monument and the monument inscription, where possible.
information is available free of charge, on line by following this
link. We are
very grateful to Mrs S Potts for cataloguing and photographing
Please click here to go to the directory.
Priors Dean is a small,
scattered hamlet in an isolated rural area. There is no village hall or
shop, only the tiny, ancient church at the centre of the parish. The
church is in an isolated position, though the Manor House and some
cottages are nearby. Its origins are lost in the mists of time, as is
the dedication of the church. It may be on a pagan site, and it is
almost certain that the yew tree in the churchyard is over 2000 years
old. Some distance away, almost on what, in comparison with the lanes,
might be called a main road, and nearly in the neighbouring parish of
Froxfield, is the White Horse Inn, or "Pub with no name". Here, the
poet Edward Thomas, who lived just down the road at Steep, was inspired
to write Up in the Wind. The area round about is one of the highest
parts of Hampshire.
Priors Dean Church
Priors Dean once belonged to Southwick Priory near
Fareham. The small rustic Norman and Early English Church on a Saxon
foundation, stands in a deep combe among the wooded hangers. It serves
a small and scattered rural community, but is noted for the Compton
(Tichborne) family monuments.
The Church has a nave and chancel with a timber bell
turret carved on four large posts at the west end. It is entered by a
fine Norman door ornamented with billet and zigzag mouldings. The nave
is Norman but the windows and chancel arch are modern reproductions, as
is the font. There was a restoration in 1857, but roofs of both nave
and chancel are old.
The Chancel is Early English, containing a piscina
and the following monuments:
(1) on floor in north east corner, brass to John and
Joan Compton, 1586;
(2) on north wall, Bndget (nee Compton), wife of
Nicholas Stoughton, who was born in 1610, married in 1625, aged 15, and
died in 1631 aged 21. She is represented by a kneeling effigy under a
canopy, her two surviving daughters beside her, while two of her
children who died are shown in their shrouds. A long Latin inscription
records the details of this tragic girl;
(3) on the same wall another kneeling effigy,
coloured, under a canopy to Elizabeth Tichborne (nee Compton), 1622,
sister of Bridget Compton;
(4) on the south wall a very handsome monument of
alabaster and black marble to Sir John Compton and his wife Bridget,
1653, with their portrait busts in oval frames. This was set up by
Compton Tichborne, their grandson, whose similar memorial adjoins that
of his grandparents on the west.